Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Logorrhea edited by John Klima

Every year in the US there is a national spelling bee. A year or so ago John Klima, the editor of the Magazine Electric Velocipede had the excellent idea of compiling a book of short stories based on around the sometimes unusual words that have helped the young competitors win the competition - and today is the official publication date of Logorrhea: Good Words Make Good Stories. It is published by Bantam.


Here is a (p)review from Booklist:
Capitalizing on the current spelling-bee craze, this anthology presents commissions inspired by winning words from the Scripps National Spelling Bee, thereby providing those unfamiliar with either spellings or definitions of the likes of vivisepulture, insouciant, and eudaemonic delightful opportunities to learn them. Librarian and sf zine editor Klima has corraled 21 authors, speculative-fiction luminaries ranging from Liz Williams and Michael Moorcock to Elizabeth Hand and Jay Lake. In the opening tale, "The Chiaroscurist," a painter specializing in the interplay of light and shadow shoulders an unexpected burden when he hires a gnome to model God's likeness for a planned fresco. "Logorrhea" explores the unusual relationship between a woman afflicted with compulsive verbosity and a man whose lizardlike exterior brings out her listening talents. Other entries revolve around the skin conditions eczema and psoriasis, recount the fate of a foreign-exchange expert, or cambist, and more. A treat for dictionary hounds and vocabulary-challenged word lovers everywhere.

Marly Youman's piece, The Smaragdine Knot, is in there, and having read a few of Marly's other works I am looking forward to reading this very much. Marly's writing is quite exquisite, each word just right. Whenever I start reading one of her books I feel myself relax as I open the page because I know she is going to carry me beautifully along and I am going to enjoy each moment.

However the only story I have read in the book (besides mine of course) is Jeff VanderMeer's, Appoggiatura - which reads like an epic novel in short-story form. It is a clever piece written with much verve and imagination and I highly recommend it.

The full list of contents is:

Hal Duncan - The Chiaroscurist
Liz Williams - Lyceum
David Prill - Vivisepulture
Clare Dudman - Eczema
Alex Irvine - Semaphore
Marly Youmans - The Smaragdine Knot
Michael Moorcock - A Portrait in Ivory
Daniel Abraham - The Cambist and Lord Iron: A Fairy Tale of Economics�
Michelle Richmond - Logorrhea
Anna Tambour - Pococurante
Tim Pratt - From Around Here
Elizabeth Hand - Vignette
Alan DeNiro - Plight of the Sycophant
Matthew Cheney - The Last Elegy
Jay Caselberg - Eudaemonic
Paolo Bacigalupi - Softer
Jay Lake - Crossing the Seven
Leslie What - Tsuris
Neil Williamson - The Euonymist
Theodora Goss - Singing of Mount Abora
Jeff VanderMeer - Appoggiatura

Link

10 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

I'm very pleased for you. The collection sounds interesting, a good mix.

Tue May 01, 01:26:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've read the Abraham story, and part of the VanderMeer. (And my own, of course...) This is one hell of an anthology. I look forward to reading yours.

Tue May 01, 03:24:00 pm  
Blogger Kay Cooke said...

Sounds a great read. I must get a copy. Goody! Another book to look forward to reading. Personally 'diarrohea' is the word I can never spell. (See? Told you!)

Tue May 01, 07:25:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks lee, and hello Jay, I keep hearing your name but it is mixed up in the fuzzy brain of mine with Martin Lake in a certain place called Ambergris. I'm looking forward to reading your too!

Yes, CB, I'm with you on the d-word, actually there's a great long list...

Tue May 01, 10:16:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you can't shill your own stuff, so I'll just say that your story in Log is wonderful. Of course, everything I've read of yours is amazing. You have such a unique and powerful voice.

JeffV

Wed May 02, 02:42:00 am  
Blogger Susan said...

I've just ordered it from Amazon. I plan to collect all the Dudmans I can!

Wed May 02, 11:44:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Clare, how sweet that was! Thank you.

I'm having a really splendid time at Yaddo and will write when I get back...

Thu May 03, 02:22:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That certainly looks interesting!

Thu May 03, 08:07:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put the TOC to google translation but it vomited kaputtino.

- montmorency

Fri May 04, 01:50:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Susan, I hope you like it!

My pleasure, Marly - hope you're having a good time. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

And Mumpsimus! So glad to hear fromyou again. I'm not surprisded it vomited. Very sensible.

Sat May 05, 02:01:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation.

<< Home